November 2, 2008
Presidents of the Azerbaijan Republic, the Republic of Armenia and the Russian Federation, having met on November 2, 2008 in Moscow on the invitation of the President of the Russian Federation, having discussed, objectively and thoughtfully, in a constructive atmosphere, the state and prospects of the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict by political means, through the continuation of a direct dialogue between Azerbaijan and Armenia with the mediation of Russia, the United States and France, as Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group:
- Declare that they will support the improvement of the situation in the South Caucasus, and the establishment of an atmosphere of stability and security in the region through the political settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict on the basis of principles and norms of international law, and decisions and documents adopted in that framework, which will create favorable conditions for economic development and comprehensive cooperation in the region;
- Affirm the importance of continuing the mediation efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs, considering their meeting with the parties in Madrid on November 29, 2007, and the subsequent discussions aimed at the further development of the basic principles of the political settlement;
- Agree that the achievement of the peaceful settlement shall be accompanied by legally binding international guarantees for all of its aspects and stages;
- Note that the Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia agreed to continue working, including in the course of future contacts at the highest level, on coming to an agreement on the political settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, and directed their Ministers of Foreign Affairs to intensify further steps in the negotiations process, in interaction with the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group;
- Consider it important to encourage the establishment of conditions for the realization of confidence building measures in the context of the settlement.
Ilham Aliyev: President of the Azerbaijan Republic
Serzh Sarkisian: President of the Republic of Armenia
Dmitri Medvedev: President of the Russian Federation.